Having the proper training is important to the success of your career. It sets the foundation for almost every part of your work life: your efficiency, your productivity, your marketability, etc.
However, sometimes it's hard to know what training is necessary, especially if you're already using the software. We've listed 5 signs that might suggest you should consider taking an essentials training class:
1. You’ve never used the software. This might be obvious, but, if you’ve never used the software, you need training. Don’t waste your or your employer’s time and energy trying to teach it to yourself. You might get the hang of it, or you might not; and you likely won’t learn the most efficient workflows for your industry or specific job.
2. It’s been a long time since you last used the software. If it’s been a few years since you’ve used the software, or worse yet, 5-10 years since you’ve used it, you should probably take an essentials class. Chances are the software has changed a great deal. There are new features, or a completely different user interface than the last time you touched the software.
3. You’re switching from 2D to 3D. This is another no-brainer. If your company is currently a 2D shop but is in the process of implementing 3D, you really should take the essentials class for that software. 2D and 3D are completely different animals, with completely different thought processes. While 3D can often make things so much easier once you know what you’re doing, transitioning to it can be a rough road. An essentials class will get you through the bumps.
4. You taught yourself the software. Don’t get us wrong, we know you’re awesome at what you do. But sometimes, when we teach ourselves something, we learn the hard way to do it, or we don’t learn the proper workflow to do a process in a fast and efficient manner. Plus, it is surprising what little tips and tricks you can learn from working with an experienced instructor.
5. You're relying on your coworkers for help. Teamwork is important in any office, but if you're constantly asking your coworkers for help, you should consider an essentials class. Everyone has their own workload, and you don't want to add to your coworkers' loads or slow them down. Also, if your coworkers are creating drawings faster than you can, there may be something you're missing: training.
There you have it. If one or more of the statements above are true to you, check out our training schedule or our catalog and let us help you get your skill levels where they need to be. Is getting approval for training from your manager an obstacle? Let us know, and we'll do our best to help you make your case.
If obtaining the necessary funds to get training is an obstacle, please check to see if you qualify for WEDNETPA Funding (if you are located in PA) -- if you do, your training could be FREE! Do a little extra research as well... there may be other state or local funding options available to you and/or your company.